Navigating the redundancy process can feel overwhelming, as well as unsettling, for everyone involved. Churches and other Christian organisations will be concerned to follow a fair but personal process – honouring both their legal obligations and the people affected.
Recognising both the call to love those who are placed under our care (1 Pet. 5:2) and the call to steward wisely what God has blessed us with (1 Pet. 4:10), our Employment Team have created this factsheet with the hope that it will support you in meeting those calls, as you work through the challenging process of redundancy.
This factsheet looks at the procedure to be followed before making an employee or employees redundant. It covers the situation when only a few employees are at risk. If you are making at least 20 employees redundant, please contact us for advice about your Collective Information and Consultation obligations.
Our employment Team have also produced a cost-effective Redundancy Pack to steer you through this process from beginning to end. It contains a wealth of information and guidance to help you, whether it is one person in a unique role at risk of redundancy or you are having to make a selection from a group.
The Pack contains:
- A comprehensive factsheet on redundancy, providing overall advice on the law
- A timetable, setting out what steps should be taken and when
- Additional guidance for those conducting the process
- Precedent letters
- Precedent scripts/guidelines for redundancy consultation meetings
- Precedent selection criteria and accompanying guidance
- 30 minutes free support from our Team, to further support you as you implement these documents.